POSITION: Special Events Coordinator
Location: Portland, OR
Weekly: Average of 16-20 hours/week
This is not a hybrid position.
To Apply: Please submit your resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Special Events Coordinator” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Qualified candidates must complete a background check before hiring.
Application Deadline: Open until filled.
ABOUT PITTOCK MANSION:
Pittock Mansion is a 1914 historic house museum and one of Portland’s top tourist destinations. Pittock Mansion Society, a private nonprofit organization, collaborates with the City of Portland, Parks, and Recreation, to operate the Mansion. The premises include the Mansion, the Gate Lodge, and the Garage with beautiful gardens adjacent to the Pittock Viewpoint. Our mission at Pittock Mansion Society is to inspire understanding and stewardship of Portland history through the Mansion, its collections, and programs.
The organization under new leadership is at an exciting juncture of strategic growth and reimagination having laid out a new vision Pittock 2.0 which aims to make the museum a relevant history institution, a dynamic destination, and a key community partner. As part of the new vision, Pittock Mansion wants to develop and offer a new series of special programs and events for the public as well as coordinate and host internal and external events such as VIP receptions, exhibit-related receptions, lectures, seasonal events for families and kids as well as rentals of the premises by external groups.
The Special Events Coordinator (SEC) will work under the CEO’s office collaborating and supporting all departments at Pittock Mansion, related to event planning and related activities both internally and externally. The SEC will be a pleasant and patient individual with a “can-do attitude”, processing exceptional organization and communication skills combined with the ability to multitask and manage the details. While successful planning and execution of events is a key requirement for this position, the SEC will hold stewardship of the historic house museum, and its collections as a top priority. The SEC will also participate in discussions and the development of a new series of public events and programs at Pittock Mansion which will require thoughtful consideration of logistical details. This may require collecting, organizing, and sharing event-related information from vendors and other organizations and coordinating the executive of such events once the organization is ready to launch the events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Works with staff from various departments at Pittock in scheduling, planning, and executing internal events such as VIP Receptions, Exhibit Related events, Lectures, Volunteer Appreciation Breakfast, monthly and annual Staff events, Membership Open houses, Fundraiser events, and more.
- Responsible for all logistics relating to internal events such as ordering or buying food and supplies, setup, and cleaning up.
- Coordinates catering including procuring estimates, conducting walkthroughs, and ensuring payments.
- Responds to inquiries about rentals and external events at the mansion.
- Communicates external event information, for example, Pittock Rental Agreement, and insurance information.
- Works with the Finance department through proposal and contract preparation, to post-billing.
- Coordinates with all event service staff contracted by client/host to ensure compliance with museum policies and restrictions.
- Being the lead staff during all external events.
- Ensures clear and timely communications to all departments are conveyed before, during, and after the events with a run of shows and concerns are addressed appropriately.
- Proactively ensure accessibility issues are addressed related to events.
- Ensures proper signages are requested in advance and installed and special barriers such as stanchions are in place.
- Works closely with Buildings Caretaker regarding set up and ensures related supplies are ready for each event and stored appropriately.
- Works closely with the Senior Manager of Guest Experience to ensure enough support Pittock staff are scheduled for scheduled events.
- Assists with inventory and the general order and upkeep of supplies such as tablecloths etc.
- Establishes and maintains clear communication with vendors and venues.
- Handle event logistics, including room layouts for events as needed.
- Providing reliable financial reports and processing payments on time
- Managing events and addressing potential problems that may arise.
- Planning for potential scenarios that could impact the integrity of the event.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of the complex needs of a wide variety of events, especially related to nonprofit organizations.
- Takes photographs and video of the events for Pittock Mansion’s use ensuring phot releases are collected.
- Participate in the planning and execution of new series of special events and rentals.
- Other as directed.
- Experience: 4+ years’ experience in event planning and coordination.
- Familiarity with nonprofits and cultural organizations will be a plus.
- Exceptional organizational abilities are crucial for managing multiple tasks and details simultaneously.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills are essential for liaising with clients, vendors, and team members.
- Quick thinking and effective problem-solving skills are essential for resolving issues that may arise before or during an event.
- Effectively manage time to meet deadlines and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Pay close attention to details to ensure nothing is overlooked in the planning and execution process.
- The ability to think creatively and come up with innovative ideas to enhance the event experience.
- Tech Savvy: Proficiency in Microsoft, Word, Outlook, Excel, Powe Point, and solving tech setup needs.
Physical Activities/ Other Conditions
- Ability to work in a shared / open space office environment.
- Workstations may not be in a climate-controlled environment.
- Wearing personal protective equipment (e.g., face covering, gloves) may be required.
- Light to medium work that includes moving objects up to thirty pounds.
Pittock Mansion Society is committed to a work environment where all individuals are treated with dignity and respect. Everyone has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discrimination.